Searching for object/level designers!

Texture Packs, Space Objects, PVP Arenas, PVE Mission Scripts... Everything goes here. WIP threads welcome!

Site Admin

Post June 23rd 2015, 18:10

Searching for object/level designers!

Hey guys!
For this game, I'm still searching for creative people who would like to help building space object prior to the release of the game. These objects will be used by the map generator in the final game to be generated at some spots on the map. For that, I provide a preview version of the Object Editor, which looks like this:

Requirement for the editor (as for the game) is the XNA-Framework 4.0.

On the screenshot you can see the human PVP arena. This, and the other screenshots in the Alpha Preview Thread can give you an impression of the quality/level of detail, the objects should have. There are no limits for your phantasies: space stations (invent some new or clone known ones from TV series... human/extraterrestrial...), trade stations, asteroid fields, nebula fields, PVP arenas, etc.
You can post your created objects here (the editor will save your objects in a simple .xml file) or mail to me via info@linsodeteh.de .

ObjectEditor v0.9.1 Download not available anymore

Who would like to contribute? :-)

Video tutorial and wiki post will follow soon, here's an ultra short overview for the editor controls:

I'm really curious for your submissions!

In the tool bar you can choose between selection mode and build mode.
In the selection mode you can select blocks, buildings, etc. from the main view and change their properties in the bottom left in the property grid. Press [Del] to delete the currently selected objetc.
In the build mode you can add new objects. Basically there are four categories which you choose via the tabs on the left side and then pick the object of your choice:
Blocks: Place with right-click on the grid or an existing object/block, left-click to remove a block (like Minecraft)
Buildings/Items/Special Objects: By moving the mouse you'll see a preview dummy, where the object will appear on the grid. With middle-mouse you can rotate it. With left-click, it will materialize.

Camera control:
Press [Alt] to rotate with the mouse.
With [W][A][S][D] you can rotate the camera horizontally around the center of the object, resp. zoom in or out.
With [Space] you can increase camera height, with [Shift] you can decrease it (like Minecraft)

Additional functions:
Resize changes the size of the grid/buildable area.
Move moves all built objects by the given distance on the grid.
Batch Delete deletes all blocks of a given material.
Replace Material replaces all blocks of a given material with a new one.
Additionally to the normal materials/blocks there's another material "Biome Placeholder". This can be used, when blocks should be replaced by the map generator with the default material of the biome the object will be in.

Please be aware this is also a preview version of the editor. Of course there are some issues :-) Here are the known ones:
* Selected blocks are not highlighted yet (like buildings, etc.)
* Focus problems between main window, material lists and property grid when using the keyboard.
* The resize function does not check the object's bounds yet.

Post June 29th 2015, 01:31

Seer Outpost

This is just a tiny station I whacked out in a fairly short time. The inside is somewhat detailed and, most importantly, it looks nice. It's kind of curved with a steel outer hull and a central pillar made of iron. Due to a bug, the iron doesn't show through the glass. Anyway, I'm calling it the Seer Outpost because I like the name. EDIT: Oh, and I noticed the Upload Attachment tab.

Seer Outpost.xml
Found it! Huzzah!
(19.43 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Last edited by Nerdsoft on September 27th 2015, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin

Post July 1st 2015, 19:50

Re: Searching for object/level designers! [Win free keys]

That's a really neat little station :-)

Site Admin

Post July 18th 2015, 08:35

Here's an updated version of the object editor. Changelog:
* Second camera mode added (Sandbox and ShipDesigner camera modes now selectable)
* Several bugfixes (incl. 3D model issues + a few collision detections)
* Added the last objects (spawn locations + camera markers) to the editor

Here's the link:
ObjectEditor v0.9.1 Download

Post September 27th 2015, 13:23

Another thing! It's supposed to be an old, mostly-destroyed habitat/lab now inhabited mainly by luckless raiders and a psychotic AI. It also has a factory (that metal thing in the background) producing ships to populate the world. And also to annoy you :D Oh, and I also found the Upload Attachment thing. How I missed it last time I will never know (but then I was very tired).

Old Lab.xml
It looks better in the editor, I swear
(41.23 KiB) Downloaded 143 times

Return to User Custom Content